Sunday 8 December 2013

Getting over a broken heart

In three weeks it will have been a year since I ended things with the first guy I fell in love with. Being the naive, inexperienced and stubborn girl that I am, it took me a year to realize how much I did love him.

From the weeks of hoping and wishing that he would be the one to reach out to me, to feeling a loss in realizing he never would, to coming to understand that through everything we both had changed and how I had tried so hard to move on -- I still can't seem to get my feelings for him out of my system. I've tried to rationalize that it is just my inexperience and that maybe I just haven't found the right guy and of course the constant re-assuring that I did everything I could while we were together to try and make him happy. Nothing has worked to erase my feelings towards him. I've been reading articles lately with advice on how to get over someone you loved and they suggest a few helpful things that I thought I might impart to make this post of value:

1. Live in the current - try and detach your memories to just what they are: the past.

2. We tend to, or I tend to, have a habit of remembering the good qualities in people and situations that we forget or overlook the reason for why we made our decision in the first place.

3. Women get labeled and we label ourselves as "emotional" and rule that out of the process of rationality --- this has to stop. We make decisions based on our emotions because our feelings exist and they are of value just as much as the logic in our thought processes.

4. Live with no regrets - where you are now is a result of the choices you've made and the situations you've been given. I am at a good place in my life, aside from this broken heart recovery, I am fine. If you aren't at a good place right now, you have the power to change it.

5. Optimism - it really is quite powerful.

The list could go on with other quotes but for now focusing on each of these always seems to get me going.

Do you have any more suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment