Sunday 20 January 2013

Being single is expensive!

This weekend my single friends and I have been trolling the city. Yes, trolling -- I'm going to coin this word to imply a less aggressive form of prowling. We've gone speed dating, lounge dining and bar hoping. While we refused to pay several over priced cover fees we still purchased items for the night whether clothes, accessories, tickets or transportation to 'get out there'.

As a bunch of independent women we don't scour the bar for guys to buy us drinks, yes these girls exist. I've met a fair bit of guys who have voiced their pain in buying girls drinks and the girls leaving instantaneously after --- this is not how we want to portray ourselves girls! As a single girl with a good head on her shoulders I can say that if the situation was reversed (which it probably will never will be) I would feel used. Maybe my perspective of guys being genuinely interested in having a conversation or the potential of having that drink develop into something more is a bit idealistic and naive? I just know that the drink buying business is expensive. I don't remember where I was going with this ...

Anyways, I guess maybe the process of trying to 'put yourself out there' is what makes being single so expensive. I mean most couples date and spend the same amount if not more on their dating activities but I feel like single girls are pressured to get more 'dolled up' -- a self reflection not an accusation as there is nothing wrong with getting dolled up, it is just expensive.



No comments:

Post a Comment