Saturday 19 January 2013

The hype about speed dating

Yesterday a couple girlfriends and I had decided to try speed dating. I was actually excited as this was a new item on my bucket list and I thought that it would be a great way to meet new people. However, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being fantastic, I would give the event a 7.

Maybe it was because I was tired from working all day or the environment was so noisy I felt like I had to yell at all fifteen of my dates for seven minutes but the experience was mediocre for me. I mean to be fair it was fun and new. You are forced to meet new people but I felt like I was talking about the same thing every time fifteen times? I tried to change it up a bit and towards the end I told my date I wanted to create a speed dating experience so I asked for him to tell me something psychotic. Nothing. I can't remember what he told me cause they all blurred together! If it wasn't for the piece of paper I held with their names and a yes or no box I would never remember liking any of them (I have high standards, I only liked two).


I think maybe it might be the forced seven minutes of interaction that made it a bit exhausting after four guys ... that's almost thirty minutes! I had decent conversations with everyone, there is not a time where I had an awkward silence; some guy was marketing his software and another advocating for iphone over android, it was great. Maybe its better for more social people? I'm not sure. I don't have too much of a problem striking up a conversation with random people anywhere so the timedness (I know this isn't a word) of the whole thing was weird for me. There was also only one break and the waitress did not come to my table so there I was yelling at my date across the table so he could hear the same story I told him and my throat was so dry. Overall it was definitely an interesting experience. Would I ever do it again? I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. 7 out of 10 is perrrty good! :) One more thing checked off the list! On to the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete